29th July 2022
At Koa Health, we believe in putting people (and their mental health) first. So we’ve made it our goal to leverage technology and research to enable people to change their behaviors with effective and accessible support that adapts to their unique circumstances. Having secured a successful and oversubscribed Series A funding totaling €30m (ca.$36M) in October 2020 and currently preparing for Series B round of investment, we are continuing on a steady path to grow our global team. Read more about our story here.
Against the backdrop of decades of rising demand, mental health has never been more important. The Covid pandemic has led to a 4x increase in mental disorders around the world. With no increase in the supply of clinicians, tens of millions of people are stranded today without access to care. There has never been a more critical moment for the work that we’re leading at Koa Health. And this is where you come in.
Your New Role
Koa Health is growing and, with this, we are thrilled to be looking for our very first Commercial Counsel to provide support to our General Counsel and the wider business. As our General Counsel’s first hire, you will have the opportunity to work autonomously and take ownership as a key legal advisor across the breadth of Koa’s business and geographical reach with a focus on the UK, US, Dutch and Spanish markets.
Your role will be responsible for advising on a variety of commercial contracts, new business activities and taking a leading role on the contract management side of new and existing projects and partnership arrangements (commercial, research and clinical). As a growing start-up, your exposure and professional growth is important to us; you will have the opportunity to make an impact, for your ideas to be acknowledged and to become a true business partner to your stakeholders.
Key activities include:
- Advising on commercial contracts (including SaaS and strategic contracts with key commercial, research and clinical partners); trademark and intellectual property matters; and ad hoc legal queries from across Koa Health’s business;
- Identifying, creating and managing legal operations initiatives ensuring the efficient and smooth running of Koa Health’s legal department;
- Assisting the General Counsel’s roles of Chair of the Risk Committee and Company Secretary;
- Providing cover for the General Counsel on an ad hoc basis; and
- Managing external legal support where appropriate.
We are looking for a collaborative, approachable, motivated and self-aware individual with a desire to learn and grow with Koa Health. Ideally you will have:
- Previous legal experience including material experience in-house (Ideally 5+ years);
- An English or US practising certificate;
- Proven experience with commercial contract negotiation (including SaaS) including at least a high level understanding of the associated data protection points;
- Proven experience of providing actionable, easy to understand advice to business colleagues on a broad variety of legal matters;
- Proven experience of designing, creating and implementing legal operations initiatives;
- Experience of working in a fast paced, agile environment; and
- Experience in a tech business or with health related services (desirable).
Why Koa Health?
We are at the forefront of innovation in the MedTech arena, working on one of the hottest topics of today – behavioural health. By working with us, in whatever role, you get to make a true impact on the lives of others.
Aside from this, we provide all the necessary support and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, such as:
- A fantastic rewards package that includes: Food Allowance, Private Health Insurance, Pension Contribution, Life Insurance, Bi-annual Bonus Scheme, Uncapped Sales Incentive Plans and Share Options.
- As a business we are focused on supporting your wellbeing and therefore provide you with a Wellbeing Allowance and Wellbeing Leave, as well as a generous annual leave allocation to help manage both your mental and physical health as you see fit.
- True flexibility – we’re hiring your skills and experience, so ask you to use these in the most effective way you can and manage your work-life balance accordingly.
- Worldwide WeWork membership access for those who prefer a hybrid schedule; you will find our teams collaborating on our private rooftop terrace when visiting our Barcelona office.
- An international environment with a company culture focused on wellbeing and personal growth.
An Inclusive Workplace
At Koa Health, we facilitate a safe space where cultures, backgrounds, ideas and ways of solving problems can combine. This unique mix is a big part of our recipe for success when it comes to working towards our mission of mental health for all. We firmly believe that Diversity & Inclusion should be embedded in the fabric of our organization and we know true progress comes with long-term commitments and actions. We are building a space where our people feel respected for who they are and are rewarded based on the impact they make to the business.
Regardless of your personal identifiers, at Koa Health you can be yourself, and feel respected, accepted and supported. We promote an inclusive culture where people who think and act differently can discover ways to learn from each other.
Promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity must be a company-wide effort. As a young start-up, we are creating a safe space that fosters acceptance and invites differences as part of our first steps toward building a resilient and inclusive work environment.