Genius Sports Group
Soho Square, London
28th April 2023
A bit about us
Do you want to join one of the world’s fastest growing sports technology companies?
Genius Sports is at the epicentre of the global network connecting sports, brands and fans through official live data. Our mission is simple. We champion a more sustainable sports data ecosystem that benefits all parties.
We’re looking for enthusiastic and ambitious people to join our talented team.
If you see yourself becoming part of a global family building the future of sports entertainment together, then come and grow with us.
We put trust in our people to deliver the difference for our clients around the world. It’s why many of the world’s largest leagues & federations such as the NFL, English Premier League, FIBA and NCAA choose to work with Genius Sports.
We are looking for a commercially minded lawyer to join the Genius Legal Team, who wants to be at the heart of the action in a fast-growing business on the cutting edge of sports, technology, betting and media.
This is a fantastic and unique opportunity for a junior lawyer to join a friendly, highly motivated, full service in-house legal team in a NYSE-listed globally-focused sports technology business. With responsibilities for a range of commercial legal work with some corporate governance work too, the role will be both professionally varied and personally fulfilling.
You’ll have ample opportunity to work right across the business and build long-lasting internal business relationships as you grow with the company. Sports tech is an industry with law very much at the forefront so our team is always central in leading and supporting key strategic decisions and challenges facing the business on a day-to-day basis.
- Responsible for drafting, negotiating, interpreting, and advising on a range of commercial agreements including: (i) the acquisition of data and streaming rights from sports governing bodies and leagues; (ii) the supply of data and streaming content (including augmented reality) to the sports betting and media industries; (iii) the licensing of fan engagement products and coaching tools; (iv) the licensing of proprietary software and supply of hardware to leagues and federations; (v) the provision of a full-service digital marketing suite; and (vi) supplier/vendor contracts;
- Manage external legal and business advisers, consultants, and other subject matter experts to drive value from such relationships while being a good steward of the Genius Legal Team budget;
- Assist with implementing the Group’s official legal and strategic policies on cutting-edge and sensitive opportunities, risks and industry trends;
- Draft, curate, and continually improve the team’s legal precedents and policies while keeping the legal department and internal/external stakeholders informed and educated on their contents and any key developments;
- Helping to ensure the Group continues to be compliant with relevant legislation and understand the general regulatory environment in which the Group operates globally and influence and respond to regulatory inquiries, actions, and events;
- Provide assistance on corporate governance and compliance issues and support corporate secretary efforts.
Who you are:
- A driven, ambitious commercially minded individual who’s looking to continue to build their career at an exciting, very fast-growing company;
- Have a genuine interest in the technology, sports, gaming and media spaces with demonstrated experience in at least one of these industries;
- Some in-house experience is preferable but not essential;
- Naturally personable, with excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to manage internal stakeholders and juggle workload effectively;
- A learning mindset – and desire to understand context to solve problems effectively;
- Collaborative attitude and enjoy working individually as well as within a team – willingness to “muck in” and turn your hand to a wide range of work;
- Either: (i) a qualified solicitor (England and Wales) having completed a private practice training contract; or (ii) have obtained a juris doctorate in U.S. law from a U.S. law school
This role is eligible for hybrid working with approximately 50% of time in the office.
What’s in it for you?
As well as a competitive salary and annual leave allowance, our benefits include health insurance, skills training and much more, depending on the location. We also offer a host of softer benefits, including many social events throughout the year such as summer and winter holiday parties, monthly team building events, sports tournaments, charity days and wellbeing activities.
How we work
We have adapted a forward-thinking ‘Ways of Working’ framework, which sets out (amongst other things) the opportunities for Geniuses to work flexibly, remotely and on working holidays. It affects different teams and locations differently, so please ask for further information in how it would work with this role.
Our employees are empowered to stretch the boundaries of what’s achievable, always reaching further and pushing the edges to see what gives. We collaborate, we innovate, and we celebrate. We will continue to grow as an organisation and continue to invest in our highly talented and diverse team of Geniuses.
Genius Sports Group is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We recognize and celebrate the benefits that a diverse and inclusive workforce bring to our business, our customers and our staff. We welcome and will consider all applications regardless of age, different abilities or disability, gender re-assignment, marriage, pregnancy, maternity, race or nationality, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation (and any other applicable status). Please let us know when you apply if you need any assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability.