13th September 2023
A full-time hybrid role in Cambridge, United Kingdom
It’s an exciting time to join Gearset! In the last few years we’ve rocketed from a 7 person start-up to nearly 240 people, and we’re only just getting started. As a product-driven company, we know we’re creating solutions that solve real problems for our users, saving them time and money with their Salesforce DevOps releases. As the company continues to grow and taps into further potential markets, we’re continuously looking to develop and grow our internal teams too.
Our culture of trust, transparency, and collaboration, means everyone at Gearset is given the autonomy to succeed and trusted to do good work. We believe in freely sharing our expertise and experiences with one another, fostering a collaborative atmosphere that fuels growth and continuous improvement, allowing you to reach new heights alongside the best in the business.
We know that learning and development is important to folks looking to progress in their careers, and at Gearset you’ll find it comes in many forms. From the chance to collaborate with other successful individuals who help you learn and raise your game, to having an annual learning and development budget for conferences, events, and courses. All this coupled with flexible working, and a close and supportive team, you can see that Gearset has built a culture built to support your success.
Gearset is united by a common purpose: delighting our customers, and propelling forward as the market leader for Salesforce DevOps. We’re confident in our product and market potential, and we have big plans for the future.
What’s the opportunity for a Legal Counsel at Gearset?
- Become the second member of our growing legal team, providing an internal and customer-facing legal function at a top 5 tech company with an impressive track record, and ambitious growth plans.
- Accelerate Gearset’s growth by partnering with our Sales and Customer Success teams to review, negotiate, and close commercial agreements with our customers, balancing the legal risk against our financial goals.
- Solve a variety of legal and business challenges in a fast-moving, focused, and collaborative environment.
- Educate Gearcitizen’s on the latest legal and regulatory developments which may impact our business, keeping abreast and up to date on any changes.
- Recommend ways to improve and scale our processes and reduce friction, allowing us to grow.
What you’ll achieve
- As part of a small but mighty legal team, you’ll work closely with our senior Legal Counsel to provide expert, pragmatic legal advice on a wide array of business matters.
- Support our Sales and Customer Success functions, as we continue to grow our customer base and expand opportunities.
- Advise and assist other internal teams with their legal challenges, as the need arises.
- Help shape and develop our legal function, as we scale and streamline our legal operations.
- Play a key role in ensuring we remain compliant with national and international data protection legislation, advising on data processing agreements and our internal data protection processes alongside our senior Legal Counsel and Compliance Manager.
- Support our senior Legal Counsel and Head of Operations to develop our procurement process.
- A proactive junior/mid-level UK qualified lawyer (approx. 2-4 years PQE)
- Experience working with high growth technology or SaaS companies (whether in private practice or in-house)
- A pragmatic ability to balance ideal legal outcomes with the reality of commercial goals
- Comfort leading contract negotiations with customers, and building effective working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- A good understanding of UK and EU data protection laws (US would be helpful too)
- Exceptional writing skills and attention to detail, which you can apply to drafting documents, policies, and contracts in a precise and digestible manner
- The ability to effectively prioritise and stay focused in an environment that’s constantly evolving
- Excitement to help a rapidly growing company scale its legal function
- Comfort in saying that you don’t have the answer, but confident that you can go and find it
Great to haves
- A working knowledge of US privacy laws (e.g. CCPA, HIPAA), the ISO 27001 standard or other information security experience
- Demonstrable Legal Ops experience
- Experience on the “buyer side” of SaaS deals.
Salary and benefits (the stuff you’d expect!)
- Salary of up to £75k, depending on experience
- This is a full time opportunity, working Monday to Friday
- You’ll be based in our Cambridge office, but with the opportunity of flexible home working
- Bupa health care, life insurance & critical illness cover
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (with the option to buy an extra 5 each year)
- £1500 per year personal development budget for courses, conferences, and anything else useful to your professional development in the role
- Free lunch in the office
- Company Pension Plan (matching up to 5%)
- Discounted gym membership, as well as a range of health and wellness bene