20th October 2023
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel to join our VC-funded, remote-first company focused on building the future of multi-country employment & payroll.
Boundless is the safest pair of hands for global teams. We’re a world-class Employer of Record that combines an intuitive employment platform with deep local market & operational expertise and exceptional customer support to ensure robust compliance.
Boundless was born from the belief that people should have the freedom to shape their work lives without forfeiting their right to secure employment. We offer compliant employment, payroll and benefits in a growing list of countries around the world and, in doing so, we are continuously raising the bar of what great remote employment looks like.
People Who Care.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in all aspects of legal across the business (commercial, employment, contracts, corporate, etc). To date, our COO & General Counsel has been managing ‘all things legal’ but we’re growing fast, and now we need to bring in an additional dedicated legal counsel. This is a team that is expected to expand over time.
Given that compliance with multi-country employment regulations is a key focus of our business, the Legal function is at the heart of what we do. We fully own the corporate and employment infrastructure across the 30 countries where we operate and ensure fully compliant and consistent employee contracts across the board, 100% accurate payroll processing every month and expert customer care for every case and question.
As our in-house Legal Counsel, this role offers a chance to be a key part of the development of this fast growing business, being a key contributor to everything from our customer experience to our product offering.
This is a wide-ranging role covering:
- General Legal: reporting to our COO & General Counsel as a dedicated in-house Legal Counsel. You will be a key point of contact for anything legal-related across the business
- Commercial Agreements: working directly with our sales team to review & negotiate commercial agreements with our clients, and leading regular reviews of our terms of business
- HR Compliance: working closely with our HR Compliance team on any potentially contentious legal issues that may arise with our customers / their employees
- Compliance & Regulatory: managing relationships and working with external advisors to continually update our compliance, regulatory & data protection strategy and dealing with issues as they arise
- KYC: managing and responding to inbound KYC requests, and carrying out our own KYC checks for vendors/customers
- Corporate: supporting on ESOP and shareholder equity management
- Customer Operations: working closely with our customer operations team to draft customer policies and respond to questions of a legal nature
- Ensuring the highest possible standards for all of our decision-making and legal documentation
- Establishing relationships with in-country partners
- Supporting our COO & General Counsel with our in-country partners to define the most appropriate operating model for each territory
- Working with our HR Compliance team to refine locally compliant employment agreement templates
- Having a deep understanding of our operating model, and ensuring this is appropriately applied in each country we support, in line with the employment legislation of that country
- Advising on commercial decisions
- Supporting the COO & General Counsel with due diligence prep & legals on future investment and M&A transactions
We’re looking for someone with:
- Great communication skills
- Laser sharp focus on detail
- A growth mindset
- A qualified lawyer in the UK or Ireland (though we will consider other jurisdictions)
- 6+ years relevant legal experience (including 1+ years as an in-house legal counsel for a company with international operations)
- Some solid experience in commercial law
- Exposure to a venture-backed company / early-stage business
In an ideal world you will also have some of the following:
- Experience with a PEO (Professional Employer Organisation) or with the EoR (Employer of Record) model would be very helpful – this could be working directly at an organisation of this type, or being on the client side
- Experience working remotely with international teams that favour asynchronous communication
- A background with a remote-first tech company would be a huge bonus
If you don’t feel you tick all the boxes above, but this role really interests you, please do still apply.
Boundless is a remote-first team.
That means that you can work remotely from any of the countries that Boundless supports – which you can see here (ideally in timezones that are + / – 4 GMT) and you will enjoy the security of having fully compliant employment conditions and statutory employment benefits.
- Industry-benchmarked salary
- Time Off – 41 days total. Everyone in the team is entitled to 41 paid days off per year, including public holidays, 4 company days off, and an extra day off for your birthday.
- Flexible working hours – We work a standard 8-hour day but our core hours are 11.00-15.00 Dublin time, where you are expected to be contactable – leaving you to fit in the remaining 4 hours whenever works best for you. At Boundless, we want our work to fit our lifestyles. We don’t believe in counting hours and we want everyone to focus on goals and achievements instead. We know that everyone has different needs when it comes to how they work, when they’re most productive, and how they manage their life. We’re all responsible adults, and we trust each other
- Generous Equipment/Hardware Budget – We’ll make sure you have the tools you need to do your best work
- Employee Assistance Programme – Your emotional wellbeing is important. We’ll provide you with paid-for access to mental health support
- Personal development budget – annual budget to attend courses, training, events, meetups, and conferences. We’ll invest in your development and support you as you progress over time
- Flexi benefits – a monthly allowance of €100 that can be used on a broad range of personal expenses
- Employee share options – share options allocations are made to all employees so that everyone shares in the success of the business
- Regular International in-person retreats – all expenses paid team meetups 3 times per year.
- Working holidays – Ability to do working holidays from other countries, where role-specific obligations allow for it, and within parameters of employment compliance