31st December 2023
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations, and more people.
Our Group Contracting team is based in the UK and Singapore. We provide legal support in relation to Dyson’s global supply chain, group procurement activities and manufacturing operations; helping to establish and maintain effective relationships with Dyson’s suppliers and manage any associated legal risk. Our work includes advising on high-value and strategically important procurement activities, negotiating commercial agreements with suppliers, and resolving contractual issues and disputes that arise from time to time.
About the role
Dyson has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and capable commercial lawyer to join the Group Contracting team in the UK, acting as a legal counsel. You will be joining a collaborative and expert team and advising the business on commercial contracts, disputes, and general commercial matters. You will report to one of the team’s Senior Legal Counsel in the UK.
This role will be based on-site, either at our state-of-the-art technology campus on the edge of the Cotswolds in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, or at our office in central Bristol (with some days in Malmesbury).
As a Legal Counsel within Dyson’s Group Contracting Legal team, you will be:
- Providing expert legal advice on commercial and contractual issues across the business, helping the business to navigate complex legal issues and overcome the challenges that it encounters.
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on the terms of commercial contracts, including (amongst others) master service agreements, IT procurement, manufacturing and outsourcing arrangements.
- Identifying, advising on and devising mitigation strategies for legal risks.
- Assisting the business to resolve contractual disputes and managing litigation with third parties (with support from external legal counsel) when necessary.
- Building strong working relationships with stakeholders across the business including Procurement and Legal teams.
- Working as part of a cross-functional team to provide commercial and contractual legal support on important and high-profile projects across Dyson, and coordinating with other teams within the Dyson Legal department to ensure that the business receives cohesive advice.
- Contributing to the delivery of the team’s strategic objectives, supporting the Senior Legal Counsel and Head of Legal.
- Helping to deliver legal training programmes and maintain template documents and guidance notes.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of developments in relevant areas of law and contribute to the Legal team’s sharing of this knowledge and know-how.
- Proven experience providing legal advice on commercial agreements (gained in-house or in private practice).
- A solid grasp of contract law and strong contract drafting skills.
- The ability to analyse complex contractual terms and factual scenarios, identify legal and commercial risks stemming from them, and devise strategies for mitigating them.
- Experience of leading the legal aspects of contract negotiations and an aptitude for identifying the strengths and weaknesses of different arguments and negotiating effectively.
- Commercial awareness and an understanding of the role of an in-house legal team.
- Ability to apply your legal knowledge in a practical and pragmatic way.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with stakeholders at all levels, communicating clearly and concisely and using a style that is adapted to suit the audience.
- Capability to work autonomously, with limited supervision, in an exciting, fast-paced, and constantly evolving environment
- The confidence and gravitas to challenge decisions and actions when required, and to actively contribute to business discussions.
- A solutions-orientated and collaborative attitude.
- As a guide, we are looking for somebody with 3+ years PQE. However, we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who believe that they possess the skills, characteristics and experience required to fulfil the role. You must have trained/qualified in a commonwealth jurisdiction and must have passed the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) or be due to sit your exams imminently.
Dyson has a campus-based approach to working and this forms an integral part of our culture. We believe in the importance of our people working together on campus, building relationships face-to-face, and learning from each other in a creative environment that allows us to invent and launch pioneering technologies. This emphasis on collaboration and learning is at the heart of our organisation. We also believe that our people, teams and, ultimately, our whole business functions better, when we are together.
If you are interested in this role but do not live locally then Dyson may be able to support you with relocation. We would be happy to discuss this with you further if you are successful in the recruitment process.
- Performance-related bonus scheme
- Competitive pension scheme
- Life assurance and income protection
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Free bus (coach) travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Bath, Chippenham and Swindon
- 27 days’ holiday (plus public holidays)
- Ability to purchase additional holidays
- Free parking on-site
- On-site hair salon, sports centre and gym – all free
- Free lunch and free, (unlimited) hot drinks and fruit
- Free on-site Lifestyle Assist service (concierge)
- Electric vehicle salary sacrifice scheme
Health & Wellbeing
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
- On-site gym and sports centre