The British Museum
£42,804 per annum
17th November 2022
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for an experienced lawyer to join the Legal Services team at The British Museum.
The successful candidate will contribute to implementing the Museum’s Legal Strategy and delivering a sector-leading advisory function. They will provide colleagues around the Museum with accurate, timely and effective advice.
Joining a small and collegial team with a busy and varied workload, candidates will have relevant experience gained in leading firms or comparable in-house roles, and will work closely with the Senior Legal Counsel and Head of Governance to deliver high-quality and strategic legal support to colleagues around the institution.
Applicants will have in-depth technical knowledge across a range of key legal areas, including commercial, contract and charities law. They will be adaptable, responsive, and actively engaged in commercial and legal issues relating to the Museum and Cultural sectors.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide high quality in-house legal advice;
- Contribute to implementation of the Museum’s Legal Strategy;
- Work with external legal advisers as required, ensuring value for money;
- Represent the Museum and communicate on its behalf with third parties and relevant external and internal stakeholders;
- Design and provide in-house training courses as required; and
- Provide other support as required by the Senior Legal Counsel and Head of Governance.
- Admitted as a practising solicitor or barrister in England and Wales.
- Relevant experience either in-house or in private practice.
- Sound knowledge and experience of relevant law and practice.
- Able to: carry a varied and unpredictable workload and work to tight deadlines; assess commercial risks efficiently; clearly and concisely provide advice; understand the operational ramifications of advice and find practical solutions; apply knowledge/skills through handling complex problems within and outside area of expertise.
- Professional manner, objectivity, and commercial negotiation skills.
- Able to: listen, and to argue cases coherently with tact and sensitivity; support others in complex decision making; communicate complex legal matters in a clear, straightforward way.