28th February 2023
Company DescriptionNBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.Job DescriptionRole Title: Legal Counsel, Privacy (Permanent)Location: LondonDivision: LegalReporting to: Privacy CounselAbout UsNBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. It develops, produces and distributes entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of entertainment and news television networks, a premier motion picture company, a direct-to-consumer streaming service, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks.The NBCUniversal Privacy Legal team is an award-winning team that provides Privacy advice to all of NBCUniversal’s businesses and enterprise functions in over 30 countries. Team members are mostly based in the US and the UK.Job DescriptionWe are seeking an experienced solicitor (3+ years PQE) to join our team in London on a permanent basis. The role involves providing timely and practical advice relating to the collection, use, sharing and deletion of personal data to internal clients throughout the NBCUniversal portfolio of companies, including enterprise functions (e.g. HR), Film/TV productions, direct-to-consumer and ad tech businesses.Key Responsibilities
- Work with internal clients, business lawyers and colleagues in other functions across the globe to help ensure privacy compliance and risk management when implementing new initiatives involving the collection and use of personal data.
- Conduct privacy reviews of such initiatives by reviewing information submitted through our privacy management system, gathering further information through emails or meetings, and providing recommendations.
- Review consultation drafts of proposed new legislation, regulatory guidance or codes of practice, assess the potential impact on NBCUniversal’s businesses, and prepare feedback.
- Monitor legal, regulatory and policy developments in our 30+ jurisdictions and work on projects to address new legal requirements, e.g. PIPL in China, EU data transfers.
- Privacy due diligence on targets for corporate acquisitions.
- Draft and negotiate privacy and data security terms in contracts.
- Draft user-friendly privacy guidance notes.
- Develop and deliver privacy training internally.
- Create new templates and help keep existing templates up-to-date.
About YouThe role requires someone who:
- Has a passion for data protection and privacy;
- Has at least 3 years’ experience advising on data protection matters, either in private practice or in-house;
- Is resilient and able to thrive in a fast-paced business environment;
- Is adept at multi-tasking and can manage a high volume of matters, often switching between tasks on a day-to-day basis;
- Has a positive, “can-do” attitude and is willing to go the extra mile;
- Has a strong work ethic;
- Has excellent analytical skills;
- Has sound drafting skills, and good attention to detail;
- Is highly organised and efficient;
- Has exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Has strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to interact with a range of personalities and establish effective working relationships;
- Is able to formulate creative solutions to accomplish business objectives;
- Is self-motivated, proactive and collaborative in their approach; and
- Is a good-natured team player.
Skills / Qualification Requirements
- Suitable candidates must be able to demonstrate as much of the above through their CV (both in respect of professional path and extra-curricular achievements) and in interview.
- UK qualified solicitor (or another common law jurisdiction), 3+ years PQE
- Right to work in the UK.
- IAPP CIPP/EU Preferred But Not Essential.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer and we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you. Accessibility Statement | NBCUnicareers
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.