30th October 2023
Condé Nast is a global media company producing the highest quality content with a footprint of more than 1 billion consumers in 32 territories through print, digital, video and social platforms. The company’s portfolio includes many of the world’s most respected and influential media properties including Vogue, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Self, GQ, The New Yorker, Condé Nast Traveler/Traveller, Allure, AD, Bon Appétit and Wired, among others. Condé Nast Entertainment was launched in 2011 to develop film, television and premium digital video programming.
This a maternity cover until November 2024, to start asap.
You will play a central role in developing and delivering our advice to Condé Nast Britain. This is a new strategic role where you will be asked to work with senior commercial leaders alongside the corresponding enabling functions and department leaders based in the UK, advising them on the implementation of their strategies and transactions whilst at the same time ensuring alignment with our global policies and frameworks.
The Conde Nast Legal & Policy team is led by the General Counsel and is led from our International HQs in London and New York. Our team also comprises our Legal teams based in our various markets around the world. We are also supported by a network of outside counsel where necessary.
What will you be doing?
UK Business Support
- Generalist Legal support for legal issues affecting Conde Nast’s business in the UK, including contentious, group, corporate, and compliance matters (in partnership with the relevant supporting Legal & Policy HQ colleagues).
- Hold a supporting role on the UK Conde Nast Leadership team and represent all legal interests from the Global L&P colleagues;
- Support the development of a best practice approach to Sales and Marketing law so as to ensure efficient and cost effective legal service delivery;
- Ensure correct governance and utilisation of and partnering with the Towers in the Global L&P team to create excellent legal service levels for Conde Nast Britain business in general;
- Being up to date with the latest current awareness on legal and commercial trends in advertising, digital, commercial, media and consumer UK law
- Supporting the General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel [and Head of Legal Europe] with management reporting and interactions with CN’s shareholder on sales and marketing legal UK matters.
- Partnering with global Legal & Policy Legal Operations team to create efficiencies on key contractual documentation repositories, filings and creation of efficient process methodology in order for the UK business to procure the use of L&P services.
- Partnership with Editorial/ Business and Senior Leaders of all brands in order to be considered an enabler for their business requirements.
- Oversee the preparation, delivery and approval of sales contract and other relevant documentation for standard deals by putting in place new systems, policies and processes for the UK whilst utilising best practice adopted by global L&P colleagues;
- Provide expert commercial and corporate advice on higher value and more complex sales deals;
- Provide training and awareness on key legal, contractual and IP concepts and policies that are relevant to the activities of the sales teams. This will include advice on advertising laws and regulations;
- Oversee the implementation of the Business Principles in the UK which is our global ethical and compliance framework engaging the business on a variety of compliance requirements and including in particular the Advertising Guidelines.
Brand & Licensing Teams
- Advise on licensing transactions both in the media and non-media space
- Liaise with Trademark Attorneys and IP enforcement colleagues to ensure appropriate protection and enforcement of our brands in the UK.
Digital Ad Tech Teams
- Provide advice on deals and partnerships with software and Ad Tech vendors that build the capability we need to deliver our services and solutions.
- Liaise with Data Privacy colleagues to ensure an appropriate approach to DP protection and compliance in the Market.
Talent and Event Teams
- Provide advice and support to the global Talent Team on deals to secure the participation of talent in our commercial products, services and events
- Advise on the staging of events, both via contracts with venues and service providers but also by clearing necessary permissions and ensuring compliance with regulatory consents.
- Provide advice and support on e-commerce and other consumer propositions;
- Ensure our marketing teams have access to first class advice on the evolving digital marketing law framework in the UK and beyond.
- Develop solutions and new models for emerging commercial trends such as social media influencers and Ad-Tech and the regulatory response to them.
- Provide templates, tools and information on marketing and advertising law.
- Draft clear and consistent templates and standard terms and conditions for new promotional initiatives.
Who you are:
- Legally qualified in England and Wales with ideally 3-8 years minimum relevant experience.
- Experience preferred in sales, marketing or media law gained either in private practice or in an in-house role, including a willingness to gain a thorough knowledge of applicable marketing codes and best practice;
- Experience in commercial law, including an awareness of emerging trends, regulation and best practice in offline and online advertising, social media and influencers.
- Experience delivering legal services in a major multinational corporation in a matrix organisational structure;
- Experience in Corporate law and regulatory compliance;
- Ability to present legal advice in a pragmatic, problem solving and commercial fashion and be known as a true ‘enabler’ to the businesses requests;
- Confident, self starter who welcomes the opportunity presented by being the first holder of this role;
- Strong experience in stakeholder relationship handling and embedding new processes;
- Positive “can do” attitude and willingness to work flexibly and as a partner to the global Legal & Policy team;
- Experience of managing compliance and ethical matters and willingness to show integrity and good professional judgement on behalf of a global company.
What benefits do we offer?
- Condé Nast Learning Hub where you’ll find you’ll find all Condé Nast-developed learning courses and trainings, and over 16,000+ courses in seven local languages
- 25 days holiday and extra days of annual leave for if you get married, move house or want to volunteer
- Hybrid working and core hours
- Competitive pension scheme
- Bupa Private Healthcare
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work
- Employee Assistance programme
- Bring your dog to work
- A wide variety of wellness benefits including gym discounts
- Discounts and Magazine Subscriptions
- Employee Resource Groups to provide a platform for employees to identify shared objectives, exchange ideas, and work on community priorities for our global workforce